Friday, April 18, 2008

Prince Caspian


The second installment of C. S. Lewis' epic Chronciles of Narnia series is due May 16. Get a preview of Prince Capsian's digital magic!

.

My excellence test is: Can my 4-year-old daughter nestle in the crook of my arm, squealing in delight then whispering (to herself more than me) "I'm not scared, this is just pretend." All this while I'm also enchanted, fascinated by the full texture of images, music, and theological analogies. This is not in itself excellence, but when all this occurs on the 15th viewing, excellence is apparent!

.

That's why I'm waiting with baited breath for the Caspian release. Like a 10-year-old, I suppose. But the books have captured my theological imagination like no other, and so far the movies have amplified the books. Here's Narnia: Prince Caspian, a behind-the-scenes trailer that introduces us to the on-screen world.

.

As a preacher, I'm starting to mull on how I can adorn the Gospel of God (Titus 2:10) with the stories of this distant land. A recent column by Devin Brown has set my mind-gears turning. I'm pondering the dullness of Narnia 1,300 years after The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Gone is the magic of Book #1. Cair Paravel is in ruins. By his cruelty the petty King Miraz has enforced mediocrity upon the kingdom. The trees sleep. Talking animals hide. Treachery rules.

.

Miraz is a two-bit dictator, himself the son of pirates. His demise is not the jaws of Aslan, but a dagger of his own lieutenant after tripping on a "tussock." Not unlike the dull, self-promoting autocrats heading the world's backwash of dictatorships. It's only a shell of a kingdom. What's lacking is its heart. Imagination. Creativity. All these can only be returned by the presence of Aslan in the land, directing the heroic deeds of the Old Kings and Queens.

.

Enter with me into this story. One objective I have it to use Prince Caspian as a witnessing tool. Another is to have this story of creation, fall, and redemption imprinted upon my mind. Then I can image WITH my daughter. Hopefully, then she'll learn as much about Jesus as I did when I was her age!