Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Changing Face Of Cyber-Friendships

I love to blog. I guess I've always been a writer -- a words guy. But having a computer screen and Internet wires between you creates a barrier that it's difficult to overcome. That's why Jesus consistently makes the local church a priority, emphasizing that "where two are three are GATHERED TOGETHER in my name, there I am in their midst..." In this context he's not talking about meeting up on the Internet.

So I've been thinking about cyber-connections. They have their place, and indeed, are important (especially to maintain friendships across the miles). But pounding on a keyboard can never replace personal, verbal relationships. This is why Jesus came in the flesh, because the Gospel had to be INCARNATED.

I want to be consistent in friendships. I also want to be reliably available to friends in need. I really enjoy sharing the interesting (and sanctifying) things on the Internet. But the Internet cannot over-occupy my life. It is a tool, not a toy. It needs to be meticulously (not mindlessly) employed, an addition to life rather than an addiction in life.

That's why I've decided to suspend this blog, and to move into the evolving world of Facebook. I'll still keep this blog, and may even post occassionally. But come to see me (Pastor Brad Johnston) on Facebook. That's where I'll be chatting. And I would much rather sit down face-to-face over a warm cup of coffee.